Frequently Asked Questions

What is the tuition surcharge and how does it relate to Summer Sessions?

Summer Sessions credits are excluded from the surcharge calculation. Students who are concerned with the 50% Tuition Surcharge on credit hours earned over 140 should be aware that hours earned during summer sessions cannot be calculated into the surcharge total. Summer Sessions does not receive appropriations (funding) from the State of North Carolina. The tuition paid during the summer pays for summer instruction and administration. Therefore the state does not include summer hours earned in the calculation. A student with 135 earned hours but who completed 12 of those hours in summer sessions, in reality has 123 hours toward the Surcharge calculation and therefore has the opportunity to enroll in 17 credit hours during the academic year without facing the 50% Tuition Surcharge.

Who do I contact for questions about my billing for summer classes?

Please call 828-262-2113 or email  studentaccounts@appstate.edu for any billing questions.  They are happy to help.

How does renting books during the summer work? Is it just like the fall and spring or do you get your books at your class?

You go to the bookstore to pick up your books just like during the academic year. If your class is online and you have left Boone, you need to order your book(s) by calling 888-792-6657 or 828-262-3070, ext 20. Books are shipped UPS Ground and regular shipping charges apply. If you are calling to order, have your banner ID, the course and section number and your credit card ready.

Return your textbooks to University Bookstore, 219 College Street, ASU Box 32028, Boone, NC 28608.  All returns must be postmarked by the return deadline in order to avoid being charged for the books.

 Is the Writing Center open to students in summer?

The University Writing Center is open for summer I and II and offers all of their great services: helping any writer at any stage of the writing process in any subject, assisting with group projects (all group members must be present), offering online consultations, providing class visits for interested faculty, etc. For more information on any of their services, please call the center at 262-3144, or visit the website at writingcenter.appstate.edu.

Is tutoring available for summer courses?

Tutoring services are available during the summer! Come to 208 D.D. Dougherty and sign up for a tutor! Don't wait until the class gets difficult or overwhelming, get ahead of the game to ensure your success in the class. If you have any questions please call the University Tutoring Lab at 262-3060 or email apputs@appstate.edu.

Where do I get my parking permit and what does it cost?

The Parking and Traffic Office is located on the first floor of the Rivers Street Parking Deck.  You can purchase your permit the day before the first day of the session. Parking costs:

First session or full summer
Student Lots - $40
Parking Deck - $90

Second session ONLY
Student Lots - $17
Parking Deck - $40

Are Visiting Students issued an identification card?

Yes; visit the AppCard Office in Trivett Hall, located on the corner of River Street and Stadium Drive.  The Duck Pond is in front of the building.

Are meal plans available for summer?

Summer 2017 cost of meal plan:

4 week - $330
5 week - $410

Where do I find the summer schedule?

Click here!

Can I use my fall PIN to register for summer classes?

Yes! You do not need a separate PIN to register for summer classes. Use the one that you were given during advising.

Are summer classes counted as a part of my overall GPA?

Yes! They have the same weight as regular fall and spring classes.

I'm taking an online class.  Will the class meet at a certain time online?

Synchronous online classes are those that require students and instructors to be online at the same time. Lectures, discussions, and presentations occur at a specific hour. All students must be online at that specific hour in order to participate. Asynchronous learning means online courses that you can take on your own schedule. Instructors provide materials, lectures, tests, and assignments that can be accessed at any time. Students may be given a timeframe – usually a one week window – during which they need to connect at least once or twice.

Online synchronous courses will state the time that you will meet on line.  Please email the instructor if you are unsure of the type of online course.


I am enrolled in a 100% online class and wondering how that works; what website do I use; how do I access the website.

You should find information regarding your online class by checking your Student Detail Schedule in AppalNet.  You used this site to register for courses.  From the ASU Homepage, click the "AppalNet" link .  Sign in to Self Service, then click the Student Tab.  Under Registration, you should find a link to Student Detail Schedule.  You should be allowed to access the course from here.  If you do not find this to be the case, please contact the instructor of the course for more information and instructions regarding the class.  The instructor’s email address can be searched from the ASU homepage, top right corner, type name and click the people button under it, then search.

Is it possible for me to postpone my May graduation date so I am able to take summer classes? I have already sent my application for May graduation.

Contact the Records and Graduation Area of the Registrar’s Office to move your application for graduation to a future term. Once your application term has been updated, you may register for summer courses. Check your AppalNet account to determine if you have access to register.

I have been accepted for this coming fall. I would like to take summer courses but I cannot register.

Contact your Admissions Counselor and request your admission date be moved up to the date your summer course(s) begins.  You may need to update your Orientation date.  Contact our Orientation office to find out.

Is there a limit on how many hours I can take?

Since some courses are four credit hours the system will let you register for seven credit hours per summer session even though we consider 6 hours full time for each summer session. Anything over 7 hours you would need to request an overload in your AppalNet.

If I want to take an extra class (which will exceed the credit hour limit) and I haven't been admitted to a major and still in University College, who do I petition to get permission?

Students in University College would need to get permission from their UC academic advisor.  Once you declare your major, the Dean's Office of your major would then have to approve course overloads.

I'm taking only one class and I need to drop it but banner won't let me.  What do I do?

Students who find it necessary to withdraw (i.e., discontinue all classes) for the current term or a future term should use the Enrollment Discontinuation Form available in AppalNET/Web Self-Service. The link to the form can be found under the Student tab. Information from the online form is forwarded to the Registrar's Office for withdrawal processing. If you have questions about the withdrawal process, please contact the Registrar's Office at (828) 262-2050 or registrar@appstate.edu (link sends e-mail).

I attend another university. How do I apply to take summer classes at ASU?

Click here, and select "Visiting or Non-Degree Student," selecting whether or not you have/have not attended Appalachian.

In the past, I’ve applied to ASU but have never attended. Do I need to apply again? 

Yes. Click here and follow the directions. Give us a call or email if you have further questions.

I’m a visiting student. How can I ensure my enrollment when the class notes say: NOTE: Permission of instructor is required. 

Email the professor to ask for permission to register. To find the address, go to appstate.edu. Enter the professor’s name in search; click the "People" button and search. If the class you're trying to enroll in requires a prerequisite, you should be prepared to send the professor a copy of your transcript to verify you meet the pre-requisites.

How can I register for classes if I am currently on academic suspension? I was told that I can take summer classes to build my GPA and help terminate my suspension.

A student who does not meet the required academic standards may enroll in summer sessions at Appalachian and attempt to raise their grade point average by taking new courses or repeating courses. The summer sessions do not count as semesters earned and are available for students regardless of their academic standing. Students should see an academic advisor prior to enrolling for summer classes to determine the best schedule and the grade point average needed to be off suspension. Summer course work taken at other schools will not affect the GPA since only hours, not grades, transfer back to Appalachian. A student enrolled during spring semester will need to contact their dean and request an “Override” before registering for summer through Appalnet. A student not enrolled during spring semester will submit a data sheet and complete the Non-continuous Enrollment form. The forms can be found on our site here.

I am a rising high school senior. Am I eligible to take a summer course?

A high school student who wishes to enroll in a for credit course must apply as a non-degree seeking student and provide the appropriate permissions from the high school counselor, a parent/guardian, and faculty member from the course(s) for which they are seeking to register. High school students must complete the online application found here.

I'd like to work and take classes.  Is there any help available to find a job in Boone?

Local employers often list job opportunities with the Office of Student Employment.  You can also sign up for the Odd Jobs List Serve. Students interested in one time pay opportunities can receive announcements about odd jobs help wanted postings.  To subscribe, go to the Student Employment web site (www.studentemployment.appstate.edu) and click on the Odd Job List Serv link.

Do you know how/when we would be billed for the first session of summer?

Please see the section “When will I be billed? When do I pay?” on our Tuition and Fees site.

I want to talk to someone in person. How do I contact you?

You can find us here! Our office is open Monday through Friday from 8:00am - 5:00pm.

I was enrolled as a Visiting Student this past summer.  How do I request a copy of my transcript be sent to my current institution?

Please use the following link.  You may request your transcripts online or you may send the request form to the Office of Admissions or fax it to them.