Help Your Student Design A Productive Summer
Taking a class during one or both summer sessions can
- offer an encouraging boost to students getting ahead or catching up on required coursework,
- lighten academic loads for a fall and/or spring semester and reduce time to graduation, and
- create opportunities for students to take elective courses expanding their marketable skills and competencies for job and graduate school applications
Encourage your student to examine the class schedule, consider options, and consult with their academic advisor.
Class Schedule and Summer Sessions Dates
Summer 2024 schedule of classes will be posted December 6, 2023
Summer at Appalachian State University has two five-week sessions
- Summer Session 1: Classes begin May 28, 2024, for undergraduates, and end June 28
- Summer Session 2: Classes begin July 3, 2024 for undergraduates, and end August 6
- Currently enrolled students: Early registration begins April 1, 2024 for Summer 2024.
- Returning students: Returning students may enroll when all readmit processes are complete.
- Non-degree students: Non-degree students may enroll when they have applied and an acceptance is confirmed; registration for non-degree students starts April 15, 2024 at 8 am EST.
- If a non-degree student intends to complete courses at App State to count for their degree requirements at their parent institution, the school from which they intend to earn their degree, they are advised, 1) to consult with the parent institution before applying to App State, and 2) to ensure credits earned from App State will count for their degree requirements.
- There are two types of non-degree students; non-degree students who have attended App State and non-degree students who have not attended App State before now.
- First Year and Transfer Students: Newly admitted students for Fall may contact their Admissions Counselor to make arrangements for eligibility to enroll in a Summer course, either Summer 1 or Summer 2.
See our Apply page for definitions of all types of summer students.
Treat Yourself to an Enriching Summer
Non-degree students can also include parents and other family members! See our Apply page for additional details on how you can participate.
Email or call with your questions. We are glad to help! summersessions.appstate.edu or 828-262-7698